Sunday, February 1, 2015

Why I love Frozen

I kind of have this slight obsession with Frozen. It started gradually. I was on my mission and heard all this hype. I had even heard "Let it Go" as I was out and about. I didn't quite get why it was deemed so awesome. I was quite skeptical about it all. It was one of the first movies I watched when I got back, and I was like, "Eh. It's pretty cool, I guess."

Then, I watched season 4 of Once Upon a Time - well, the first half - which involved the Frozen characters and, in typical Once Upon a Tim fashion, took lots of liberties with the story. It went beyond the story the movie gives us. I loved it! But, what I loved best was the characterization of Anna and Elsa. And, I watched Frozen again - maybe a couple of times - and again, I just fell in love with the characters. Why? Because the most important thing, both in the movie and in Once Upon a Time was the fact that they were sisters.

The solution to the entire problem of the story was love. Not necessarily romantic, but just love in general. That was how Elsa could control her powers. It was what saved Anna. And, what made it all just absolutely fantastic: what saved Anna was NOT true loves kiss. (Don't worry, this isn't like some feminist rant. I'm not saying Frozen is about how Anna doesn't need a man. Please. Anna and Cristoff = best couple ever. Their awkwardness and charm is absolutely fantastic!) What saved Anna was simply an act of true love. Her act of true love was saving her sister. The best part: she didn't do it to save herself. She did it to save Elsa. There wasn't an ounce of selfish desire. That's how it was in Once Upon a Time. The plot was riddled with acts that Anna and Elsa - and occasionally Cristoff - would do, because of their love for each other.

I think the world needs to be aware of what real love - or true love -  is. Love isn't just a romantic thing. Love is something that makes every relationship sweeter. The love of a family member. The love friend. The love of a church leader. Sometimes even the love of that random person you just met, but you see the kindness in their eyes and in their actions (like that couple who leaves an outrageous tip, all because you were a little bit extra smiley when you were serving them).

So, yeah. I probably could rant and rave for awhile about how much I love how Frozen emphasizes love - and not just romantic love. And how Anna and Elsa are like the best sisters ever. The last time I watched it, I started reflecting on my own family, and how much I love them. It's been really great, being home from my mission and getting to spend time with them. Getting to see them differently than I have before - with eyes that are slightly different, after being a missionary for 18 months. And, truly, I love what I see.

It's super easy to be critical and focus on the negative - it actual is a natural human reaction. There can be 100 positive things that happened, and 1 bad thing, and our brain will naturally focus on the bad. One bad thing can ruin a day, if we let that natural reaction take the lead. It's very easy to do with people as well. I've started putting forth the effort to focus on the good in people, instead of the negative. Something that can be incredibly difficult for me, as I'm prone to crankiness and am accused of being a pessimist (I say realist). And, often the ones we are closest to get the harshest view.We get nit-picky with them.

But, I can tell you, as I've put forth the effort to see the positive in people, I have been overwhelmed with gratitude for my family. I've seen them drop everything to help a sibling out. I've noticed subtle acts of kindness that show the depth of their good character. I've seen generosity. I've seen diligence. I've seen joy. I wish I had enough time (ha, and patience) to get into specifics about each of my siblings and their families. But, lets face it: you wouldn't want to read that ridiculously long blogpost, and I'm not patient enough to write that out. Because that's a lot of people to write about. (I actually started to, and gave up...)

Anyways...that's why I love Frozen. Because I want to be a sister, daughter, aunt, friend, like Anna. Her sister didn't talk to her for YEARS, and she couldn't figure out why. Then, her sister freezes the entire land. Her reaction? "I've got to go talk to her! I've got to help her!" Then, her sister accidentally freezes her heart, pretty much sentences her to death, what is Anna's dying act? (Well, what she thinks is her dying act.) She saves her sister. Anna never holds bitterness or anger for her sister. All she cares about is helping her sister. And I want to be like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment