Saturday, February 28, 2015

Greater love

The other day at work, I served a table that had a couple sitting there. This particular couple touched my heart. The woman was in a wheelchair; it looked like she might have MS. She couldn't communicate very well - but whenever I came by, she would respond happily the best she could - and she couldn't really move. This meant that her husband had to feed her. I remember looking back, and seeing him lovingly put a chip into her mouth. It wasn't graceful, it wasn't pretty, but it's something that filled my heart, because it was filled with love. I knew that he would have to do that for the entire meal. This man loved his wife enough to go to a restaurant, so they could spend time with friends, and do something that some might seem undignified. And he did it, willingly and patiently.

On Sundays, there is an elderly couple me and my parents share a pew with. The wife is blind. I love watching them partake of the sacrament. As the tray of bread is passed and it gets to them, he deliberately guides the tray so she can grab a piece of bread, and take one herself. As the tray of water is passed, he will move one of the cups to the corner, so she can grab it - again, he guides the tray - and he is so very careful and precise. Doing everything so she can still do it herself, but still doing SO much. I love watching it, because I feel like it so exemplifies the Savior. That husband is so full of love for his wife, that he does all of that. I'm sure it's such a simple thing to him, but, for anyone who watches and observes, it speaks volumes for his character and his love.

There are several scriptures that speak of giving up your life. There is one that says that there is no greater love than laying down your life for a friend. But...does that necessarily mean dying for your friend? I think it can, definitely! But, that's not all, I believe. Laying down your life can also mean what those two men do for their wives. They lay down their own life for the ones that they love. They are filled with love and concern that they set aside any discomforts or pride or anything, really, that would prevent them from giving such service.

How often do we lay down our lives? Do we stop what we are doing, do we put a pause on our crazy, self-centered lives, and help another individual? I just can't stop thinking about how much love that is! To just STOP and go do something nice for someone you love.

Elder Bednar shared a talk about the character of Christ. He said one of the most defining things about Christ, is that He look outward, instead of inward. No matter what was going on in His life, no matter what He was experiencing, He didn't think about His needs. He focused on those around Him. Even as He was grieving John the Baptist's death, and sought solitude, the multitude found Him, and instead of turning them away like His apostles tried to do, He fed them. He taught them. He stayed with them. He looked outward. He laid down His life. He put His needs and His life on hold. Christ spent His entire life laying down His life. It wasn't just on the cross that He did that. And we can do that to; it doesn't just mean we have to die to show that greater love for someone. We simply have to be willing to STOP, and go do something for someone who needs it.

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. - John 15:13

1 comment:

  1. I got chills while I was reading this. I needed this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete