Thursday, February 18, 2016

3 Years

A few days ago, there were a few people who posted about receiving their mission call 3 years ago. When I saw those posts, I was reminded of the pain and anguish I experience waiting an extra three days for my mission call to come. For whatever reason, my call got delayed or lost in the mail. It was assigned the same times as everyone else's, but came later.

I remember that anticipation; I was expecting it Friday. It didn't come. I was heartbroken. Saturday, my Bishop assured me it would be in that mailbox. I walked back to my apartment empty handed and distraught. Yes, I was definitely being dramatic, but I was literally living for my mission, at that point. But, I thought, maybe, just maybe, everyone else's got delayed. After texting a friend of mine, who was just a few hours away, I realized that something had happened to delay my call. And I was going to have to suffer through a long weekend, as the next Monday was President's Day; thus, no mail.

3 years ago, I walked down my stairs, headed towards my mailbox, turned the key, and found my dream, sitting there. I don't know if there ever was a time that I ran faster than at that moment.

3 years ago, I opened that envelope, having no idea what was in store for me. I read those words, "You have been assigned to labor in the Washington Tacoma Mission." I paused for about half a second after reading that, and I can still remember the feeling that came over me as I thought about it. It was a feeling of peace, a feeling of assurance, of confidence. I knew that mission was the mission for me.

3 years later, I've been home for well over a year. I've transferred universities. I've changed my life plans. I've made new friends. I've become a different person - the same person, but different.

3 years later, I still can't help but smile when I think of opening my call, or being in Washington, or wearing that nametag, or living my dream of being a sister missionary.

3 years later, I have nothing in my heart but gratitude that I had the courage, the faith, and the willingness to wait and then serve.

3 years ago, my life changed. 3 years later,  I have become. And I am still becoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment