Monday, May 2, 2016

California Trees



Clearly I'm obsessed with Walk off the Earth. This isn't the first time I've posted one of their songs. And I do it on Facebook all the time. I just find their music not only pleasing to my inner music-nerd, but also their lyrics inspiring.

Anyone who has been a previous reader of my blog knows that I believe in chasing dreams. I believe Heavenly Father gives us dreams as a means for us to become who we are meant to be. It's when we take hold of our dreams and actively chase after them that we witness miracles and we grow.

One of the reasons why I love this song is that, currently, one of my dreams is to go to grad school in California - there are several universities in California who are highly ranked in the programs I'm considering. Plus, there's the beach. And the Kellogg family. (Literally half of my roommates are Kelloggs right now. I feel like I should just be made an honorary Kellogg already. They're like my favorite people ever.) So, using California (well, California trees, but, you know, California) as a metaphor for chasing after something makes me pretty happy.

If we are chasing a dream - if we are wanting to become something, reach our potential, and do something incredible to improve mankind - we can't just stay put. We have to do something. We have to go somewhere. That somewhere doesn't need to be a completely different state. It simply needs to be outside of your comfort zone.

We all have a journey to go on. Heavenly Father has an incredible destination intended for each of us. It's going to require discovery. It's going to require some growth. We might have to shed some of our old leaves and put one new ones. But, we should always be growing. Growing higher. And as you go up, be sure that your convictions in your dream that you're chasing get's louder and louder.

Chase your dreams. If you haven't found one yet, go out and search for that California tree. There's one meant for you. Go become who you are meant to be. Change the world in the way your Heavenly Father knows you can.

If you are absolutely uncertain what you're supposed to be doing, I invite you to pray. Heavenly Father will give you direction. Maybe slowly and gradually, but you will realize your dreams as you draw near to Him. In the mean time, don't stop doing, don't stop trying, and always love what you do.

What's your California tree?

No comments:

Post a Comment