Sunday, June 26, 2016

I wanna see you be brave!

A little over a month ago, I shared my story - well, one of my stories. A piece of my story that makes up who I am. With that experience, and as I've continued to ponder my own life and my own struggles, as well as discuss with people their own life and struggles, I've come to the conclusion that our stories are not meant to be kept to ourselves.

Why are we given weaknesses? Is it simply for us to to become better individuals ourselves? I don't believe so. I believe we are given weaknesses, trials, and experiences, not only to help us become, but to help others become. As I shared my story, I was overwhelmed by the feedback I received. People acted on my request to share my story, as I hoped it would reach people who were in a similar situation or who were seeking understanding. And then I began to receive comments and messages from people who had loved ones struggling with the same thing or who were the ones struggling.

Our experiences give us the ability to have empathy. I think that is a huge reason why we experience some of the struggles we have. We can look at others experiencing something similar, and we can, to a small degree, experience the kind of empathy and care that the Savior has. We can minister to them strengthen them, and encourage them. We can show them that it is possible to overcome, and allow the experiences to help them become.

Our experiences give us the ability to help other people understand other people's struggles.

I believe that if we take the time and effort to articulate our stories, we can change the world. We can be a force of good, of light, and of strength. We can share our failure and our triumphs, and how we have used both to become who we are today.

We can share our moments of darkness to show that it is always possible to find the light.

We can share our fears and our weaknesses to show that one can always turn to Christ.

My story is not unique; that is not why I shared it. It's simply...a story from my life. A story about my path to become the individual I am destined to be. Everyone has these stories.

My goal? My hope? My dream? To help you share your stories. Big stories, little stories. Just...your stories. Because all stories are significant. Some of you will have big weighty secrets, difficult traumas, or simple struggles. No matter the experience, your story will not be less powerful or less meaningful. The smallest of experiences can teach the greatest of lessons.

My sister, when I shared with her my plan to share my story, made a Sara Bareilles reference. She said, "Thank you for showing how big your brave is."

Sara wrote a song I'm sure you are familiar with. It's about opening up your mouth and speaking. We shouldn't be afraid to speak our heart. Stop holding your tongues, my friends. Share your story.

I would love to use my blog as a venue of sharing your stories. If you have a story to share - really, it can be big or little. I just want your stories shared - let me know. You can write it, if you like, and I'll post it here. Or, if you feel you aren't an accomplished writer, I can write it for you. I'll speak with you, interview you, and write it. Everything will be according to your approval. I won't post something that you don't like.

And then, my friends and readers, I would hope you would share the stories posted, just as you shared mine.

So, please. Ponder and pray on what you might have to share. And then show me - and the world - how big your brave is!



1 comment:

  1. Hey, you ought to teach speech so you can encourage others to share their story! ha ha ;-)

    ReplyDelete