Sunday, May 20, 2018

Nevertheless, We Persist

On Thursday, there was a Relief Society activity that I went to. It was just kind of a get-to-know-you activity, so there were a bunch of creative questions that each of us asked and answered. One of the questions that was asked was, "What is your life slogan?" I've actually thought about this a lot, and I have a handful of philosophies or slogans that I try to define my life by. One of the main ones is, "Get your head out of your butt!" or, it perhaps a less crude way, "It's not about you!" (with some clapping for emphasis) or, in an even more polite way, "See a need, fill a need" (Courtesy of the movie Robots). Essentially, I try to make sure that I am not living a life that revolves around me. I try to be aware of people around me and be sensitive to their needs. If I see something I can do to be helpful, I try to act without hesitating. Obviously, I'm not perfect at this, but I try to lead a life defined by that philosophy.

Another slogan or philosophy that I have been trying to take to heart is "Nevertheless, she persisted." This phrase was coined last year, because of Senator Elizabeth Warren refusing to back down in Senate when she felt her opinion was important to be shared, on moral grounds. Ironically, when she finally was obligated to sit down in silence, another senator stood up to say and read the same thing she was attempting to, without any opposition. While this was happening, to describe was Senator Warren was doing and why she silenced, it was said, "Senator Warren was giving a lengthy speech. She had appeared to violate the rule. She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted." Many people took that phrase "Nevertheless, she persisted," and used it as a rallying cry. Some, for the purpose of their political battle, some for the purpose of fighting in the face of inequality, and some, like me, for the purpose of remembering that it is important to never back down in the face of opposition.

Despite the political entanglements of this phrase, it has come to mean something significant to me. This is because we can find in the scriptures where similar things are said. One of the most impactful, and the one that is the reason why this has become significant to me comes from a very prominent story. One that many of us know well.

Christ was in a garden, praying on behalf of all of mankind. He was suffering, so much that he bled, the agony so great that he was brought low to the earth. And, yet, He said, "Father, if those be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine be done," (Luke 22:42).

Nevertheless, He persisted. He never backed down, even when the opposition was at its most fierce. Can we say the same?

Sometimes crap hits the fan. Sometimes we get depressed, have anxiety, lose loved ones, have bad days, are faced with incredible temptation, get yelled at, are given too much to accomplish in the time that we are given, feel overwhelmed, or just feel like it is unfair what we are given to deal with. What is our reaction in these times? Do we, despite everything, keep going? Or do we give up and walk away? Now, sometimes it is important to reevaluate, to take a break, to give yourself respite, or even decide that something is not worth the pain. But, sometimes the pain is worth it - necessary, even. In those moments, do we choose to, nevertheless, persist?

Persisting in the face of obstacles does not mean that we do so miserably. It means that we look beyond the problem, we understand why we are doing it, and tie it back to something we love. We find the passion behind our choices and move forward.

It is easy to get sidetracked and distracted from the things that we ultimately care about. When we do so, we will lose that passion, and it will become incredibly difficult to persist.

So, refocus on your passion. Why do you do what you do? What is the love behind the choice? In doing so, I promise you that you no matter what comes your way, no matter the trial, the discouragement, or the gloom, you will be able to, nevertheless, persist.

As Paul was facing death, he penned the words, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:" (Timothy 4:7). I hope that, in a similar manner, I can pen the words, "Nevertheless, I persisted."

No comments:

Post a Comment