Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Choosing to Suffer

Viktor Frankl was an incredible man. He was a psychiatrist whose theory is unique - even calling it "logotherapy," showing it's uniqueness, as there was nothing like it ever before. One of the things that makes him so important, to me, is what he did before he became so world renowned. He lived in Austria during World War II. Due to his profession, he had connections that would have allowed him to escape Austria and move to the United States, safe from the action of the Nazis and the condemnation of the concentration camps. But, he would have to leave his parents behind. This left him with a very difficult choice. Escape the hardship that he knew would come his way, but leave his parents, or stay with his parents, knowing he could be a strength and support to them in hard times.

Frankl chose to stay. He chose to suffer, and even with everything he went through, he didn't regret that decision. Through his suffering, he learned a great many things - many things pertaining to his theory and his practice. He learned about himself, about others, and about God. He learned there is beauty to be found, even in the most profound suffering.

Sometimes we have decisions in life that are hard. Sometimes we are faced with challenges that will cause us to suffer - and, honestly, sometimes making correct choice, the one that will benefit us as well as the people around us, will cause incredible suffering. In those instances, never choose the path of less suffering, just because it is easier. Only choose it if it is right.

I chose to go on a mission: that brought suffering of a sort into my life that I didn't have before. I chose to go to college: there was suffering alright, there! I choose to remain active in the church: there is an element of suffering in that. I choose to no act on my same sex desires and attractions: Bruh, suffering. I choose to work at a job that makes it hard to have a social life, to go to church regularly, that messes up my sleep schedule and eating habits, and that puts me in regular stressful situations where I am in charge of people's safety and security: suffering.

These are choices that have brought beauty into my life. They have brought meaning into my life. I have learned lessons. I have been brought closer to people. I have grown in strength and in perseverance. I have become more because of my suffering. Suffering makes me compassionate. Suffering makes me understanding. Suffering makes me appreciate people in my life. Suffering makes me self-reflect. Suffering turns me to my Savior Jesus Christ, whose grace I can rely on. Suffering has taught me the importance of never giving up on myself - and on other people.

To switch gears just a little bit, I want to address those who suffer immensely in life, so much so that they feel it is better to remove themselves from this life. My plea to you: chose to stay. Choose to suffer. It's going to suck for a little bit - maybe even for a long while. But, I promise there is beauty to be found, as you choose to stay. There are people to be loved, as you choose to stay. If you can find meaning in your suffering, some purpose to it - compassion, the ability to understand someone else who is suffering just like you, so you can care for them and show them that they are important.



To wrap it all up, sometimes life is going to suck. That does not mean you are doing something wrong. That does not mean you are worthless. That does not mean you should stop and give up - at whatever it is! If you are suffering, you're suffering right there with the best of them: Jesus Christ. He suffered more than any of us ever could. And He CHOSE that suffering. For you. Next time you find yourself going through a hard time, and you feel like you are suffering, just remember: there can be meaning and purpose found as we suffer.

No comments:

Post a Comment