Sunday, November 11, 2018

I Feel My Savior's Love

This weekend I had the chance to go to Utah. I planned a quick trip so I could visit some friends that I hadn't seen in years (and within those years, most of them got married and had kids, or are currently pregnant. Apparently I need to visit people more often...) During this trip, I was completely overwhelmed by the amount of love I felt. Not only from my friends, but also from the Savior.

Life is hard. I think everyone can agree with that. I often find myself focusing on the more difficult pieces, rather than the blessings. As I drove about this weekend, traveling to visit my friends and then driving back to Idaho, I couldn't stop thinking about how blessed I am. I had been feeling really bogged down. I love my job, but it's definitely tough, and I've had a few rough days recently. I've been feeling confused, frustrated, bitter, angry, lonely - like, all the feelings. So, briefly, I couldn't stop myself from thinking that my life wasn't fair, that it was stupid that I had to endure the trials given to me, and I felt like I was hanging on just by the tips of my fingers.

I slowly started getting my crap together, but I definitely could tell that I damaged myself a little bit, by letting those feelings overwhelm me. I let too much darkness in, and I felt a little bit hollowed out. But, I am here to tell you that, this weekend, I have been filled. I have been filled with light and with love. And the whole reason is because God sent His angels in the form of my wonderful friends.

I didn't get to see everyone that I wanted to see while I was in Utah, but God made sure that the people I saw could soothe my soul and heal some of the broken pieces of my heart. This weekend, my friends were standing in the stead of my Savior.

I felt Christlike love as one expressed to me that no matter what choices I made, she wanted to be a part of my life, and she would always support me. I felt Christlike as I confessed insecurities, mistakes, frustrations, and the desperation of my feelings, and the response was to point out Gospel principles and to tell me that they loved me. I felt Christlike love as one gently rebuked me for my frustrations towards other people, who are only as imperfect as I am. I felt Christlike love as hours of time were given up to be with me. I felt Christlike love emanate from those wonderful people, as they ached for the things I said I was going through, trying to understand, so they could support me in the way that the Savior would. I felt Christlike love through their words, making me feel strong, despite how frail and broken I am. I felt Christlike love, because they are what disciples of Christ look like, because they carry His light and live His teachings.

My Savior ministered to me this weekend, through my friends. It was such a sacred experience. And I'm not saying that my friends are, like, these impossibly perfect people. I am a strong advocate for acknowledging that everyone sins - it kinda keeps us from getting to judgey, ya know? So, no, my friends are not perfect. But that's the glory of life, is that we do not have to be perfect to minister and to be disciples. My friends may not be perfect, but my friends love the Savior. They try to do what is right. And that is what really matters. That is why I love being around them, because they are examples to me.

So, really, I just wanted to remind y'all of the power you have to bring light into people's lives. YOU have the power to help those around you feel of Christ's love. I have been brought closer to my Savior this weekend, and I am so grateful for it. Never underestimate your ability to do good, simply by loving others.


No comments:

Post a Comment