Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Rainbow Connection



I saw a post on Facebook a couple of weeks ago saying that the rainbow is a symbol of God's promise never to flood the earth again, not a symbol of some of the sins that caused the flood. I wanted to scream. First off, if you actually read the story of the flood in the Old Testament, God specifies that it is the violence that leads him to flood the earth (Genesis 6). There is zero mention of homosexuality, but that's beside the point. I'm not here to discuss sin because we all sin, and I can't stand pointing fingers or labeling sins as worse than others; like, sin separates you from God. Any sin does. Focus on yourself, dude. Again, beside the point.

I wanted to scream because it completely disregards the beauty of the rainbow symbolism for the LGBTQ+ community. You know what that community is looking for? A place. Safety. Belonging. Why can't we allow the rainbow to have a twofold meaning: God promising to not flood the earth, but also belonging and safety? Love and acceptance? 

I've always loved the song Rainbow Connection, but as I heard it this month, it took on a completely different meaning. We are surrounded by people yearning for that rainbow connection. You don't have to understand the choices or feelings of the LGBTQ+ community to love them and support them. But I do believe you should be connecting with them. Isn't that what God wants for us? To be connected to one another.

Take that one step further: isn't the point of exaltation to be connected with our eternal family? All of the sons and daughters of our Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother? 

Honestly...it's not hard. The connection? It isn't difficult. I may not super love my job and I'm constantly frustrated by coworkers who are fine doing less than the bare minimum. But I love working with a diverse population. For the vast majority of my life, I have been surrounded by members of the church. When I go to work, that's not the case. It's refreshing to have different perspectives around me. Earlier this week, one of the girls at work started complaining about menstrual cramps and was about to ask me if I could relate/advice on how to handle them, but then she quickly asked, "Do you get periods? I wasn't sure and I didn't want to assume." It was so normal and natural. It wasn't awkward or uncomfortable.

I mean, part of it is probably because I'm very aware of how I present myself and I am very much uncaring of people's opinions on my appearance. I don't look traditionally feminine, especially at work - I wear basketball shorts and a t-shirt because it's hot and I'm working hard and get all sorts of gross and sweaty. With my short hair and zero make-up, my appearance doesn't scream feminine girl. I've had people ask what my pronouns were, again, so normally and naturally. 

These experiences just make me think: why is it so hard for some of us to just...be respectful and aware? To not automatically assume a person's identity? It is absolutely never uncomfortable for me to have someone clarify my pronouns or ask a clarifying - appropriate - question. And the reason why is because it's so respectful and inclusive. It doesn't hurt you and it validates and helps someone feel seen and safe.

There are so many people looking for connection and for a safe place. 

Pride month may be over after today, but I hope we don't stop fighting for and working for that connection. Because one day, we'll find and experience that beautiful rainbow connection.

The lovers, the dreamers, and me. 

3 comments:

  1. Hey Beth! I was wondering how you were doing recently and decided to see if you still had your blog, since I deleted my facebook lol. Thank you for being such a strong advocate for the LGBTQ+ community! I've also come out as a lesbian, and I wish we had someone like you when we were growing up. Are you in Arizona? We should get together sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, Audrey, I didn't get notification of a comment on my blog and I just randomly decided to check out some of my old posts! Yes, I'm back in Arizona! I'd absolutely love to meet up some time and catch up!

      Delete
  2. Nice!!! I'm super excited! Email me and I'll send you my phone number! audreymw111 @gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete