Tuesday, March 8, 2016

A tribute to my friends

The past few days, I've been thinking a lot about the people in my life. Sometimes, this is how I feel:




Sometimes I'm straight up weirded out by the fact I have friends. I mean, how does it even happen? Like, there's this person I decide is pretty chill and that they might be fun to hang out with, and then all of a sudden, we have this affection for each other, and we decide we're going to do whatever we can to help each other out. Like, how does that even happen?

Friendships are hugely important to me, and I've become increasingly grateful for the friendships that I have been blessed with. 

There is a scripture that talks about friendships that I super love:

Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend - Proverbs 27:17

My friends do a lot to shape who I am - and I know I do the same for my friends. (I mean, just ask my roommates. Last semester, I got a lot of them saying "fetch." Pretty much all of them now say, "Your face," after some random comment. Dani now eats about twice as much food as she used to, because I eat so much food all the time.) 

Because of this influence we have on others, it is important for us to be aware of the impression we are leaving on people. Are we rubbing off our good qualities? Or are our bad habits our legacy? Do we encourage virtues or vices? 

My friends are pretty much my favorite things on this planet. I treasure the friendships I have, because Heavenly Father has blessed me with incredible people. They have "sharpened" me. Much of my becoming is influenced by my friends.

It is incredibly important to choose your friends wisely, because they DO have a very real influence on us. Do they sharpen your countenance to reflect the Savior, or do they dull you? Do they make you shine brighter, or do they chase the light out of you? And what kind of friend are you? Do you uplift, or do you take away? The reason why I express such great love for my friends is because each and every one of them fill me with light. 

Over the past few months, here are a few things I have learned and have been "sharpened" by:
  • seeking the Lord's will and putting it before your own
  • forgiveness
  • a willingness to serve
  • it's important to smile
  • when you love someone, you pray for them
  • express your love
  • apologize
  • you don't have to know someone well to care about them


It's not the best quality picture, but here are some of the lovelies that I have in my life currently. In our spare time, even though we were tired, had been on our feet all morning, and wanted to be in back in Rexburg, we went to Temple Square, because that desire trumped all. See? They fill me with light.

How do your friends uplift you and make you a better person? (Comment, please. Legit brag about your friends, or I'm going to think that y'all don't have friends as cool as mine and then my friends will get full of themselves!)

No comments:

Post a Comment