Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Maybe I'm just a little girl...




So, I've been a little bit obsessed with this song for the past 24 hours. Partially because I'm particularly missing one of my peeps from the mish (if you watch very carefully, you'll see her at 0:53, the one on the farthest right...) and also because I love what this song is about.

A lot of my STLs (sister training leaders) were brilliant, brilliant individuals, who were able to understand Gospel principles very clearly, and just saw the world...clearer than others. One of them talked about dreams. The dreams we have for ourselves. She said that all we need to achieve our dreams is someone to tell us that we can. When we have that faith and belief that we can do something, we CAN achieve what seems impossible.

I definitely believe that idea. And I feel like this song teaches that. The idea of just going out and doing things, because you believe it's possible, because you want to do it, because it's your dream is one that I love. Too often we are told we can't accomplish  our desires. Most of the time it doesn't come from anyone else but the adversary, sending negative thoughts into our minds. Our dreams should never end because of someone saying, "That's impossible," or "there is no way YOU can do that!" or "That is way too hard!" Dreams are made of special stuff. I believe they are made from inspiration. And where does inspiration come from? The Spirit, sending messages from God.

One of my most sacred experiences I had on my mission occurred while I was on my knees one night, seeking some counsel on a particular matter of my future. I tried to keep a small notebook by me when I did my evening prayers, and I found myself writing something down that night that I KNOW wasn't my own thought. It was a sentence that was completely inspired. I still remember that feeling. That thrill of the spirit, just overwhelming me. It was a very similar experience to when I made the official decision to serve a mission, and to when I opened my mission call and read that I was going to the Washington Tacoma Mission.

That sentence that I wrote down has now become my dream. Sometimes I think about it, and I'm like, "how in the world am I supposed to do that?!" or "This is going to be too hard." or "Is this even going to be effective?" But, then I just remind myself, this is inspired. And it's not going to happen right away. Dreams aren't achieved over night. And, just as Mindy Gledhill says, "And if I gotta take a break I will."

And, dreams don't just have to be something God tells us we are meant to do. If you have the dream to hike Everest, or to run a marathon, or to be a famous chef, or to be a teacher who inspires youth, or to learn some crazy hard new skill...GO DO IT!! "If that's what it takes to make me smile, I'm gonna walk a hundred miles." You have the capability to do, not just great things, but incredible things. Why? Because you have godly DNA inside of you.

So. Moral of the story. Go achieve your dreams. Make them alive. All it takes for a dream to be achievable is for someone to  tell you that it is, and that they believe in you. Well, guess what. Here is Beth Root telling you that she believes in you. Go give life to your dreams! I'm working on mine. :)


1 comment:

  1. Let me just say I can't wait to see you achieve this dream of yours. Thanks for the motivating words!

    ReplyDelete