Thursday, November 27, 2014

#TBT The necklace

The last transfer of my mission I had a very special experience that, in reality, had nothing to do with missionary work. But it is still one of my favorite missionary memories.

My companion had lost a necklace while we were out tracting. This wasn't just any necklace. She had worn this necklace literally every single day of her mission. It somehow managed to fall off her neck while we were standing on someone's deck. It fell between the wooden boards. We ended up getting down on our hands and knees to try to see if it was retrievable. It...seemed impossible. We couldn't even see it and the set up of the deck was just ridiculous. So we walked away and I think my companion pretty much resigned herself to the fact she was never going to see it again. Which was kind of a big deal to her.

For some reason, though, the necklace was often in the back of my mind. I remember when we realized what had happened praying a short and simple, yet earnest, prayer. And feeling a great conviction that we would get it back.

A few weeks after losing it, we happened to be on exchange. I was in our area with a sister who had been companions with my companions a year previous. All our plans had fallen through, and, frustrated, I looked around, hoping some inspiration would come. I suddenly realized that where we were was the neighborhood where the necklace was lost. I turned to the sister with me and quickly explained the situation. She knew how important the necklace was to my companion. And, even though I admitted that it probably was a lost cause, she agreed to make the effort to try ONE more time to see if we could get it back.

So, we knock on the door. A man answers and we quickly explain that a necklace had fallen the last time we knocked on his door, and we were just hoping to see if there was any way we could get it back. The man, with a concerned look on his face, said we could check, and ran inside to get a flashlight to help us out. After a few minutes of looking and looking, the man suddenly said, "Well, I actually think if I go through on the side, there's enough room for me to crawl under the porch and then I can see if I can find it.

We were astonished as this man, a stranger, got down onto the ground so that he could army crawl through the dirt and cobwebs to find this necklace. As he went further and further, finding nothing, I prayed fervently. He finally got to the end and said, "I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing it." I was devastated, yet there was still this lingering hope, and then he continued, saying, "There is just one more spot I can't see. I'll go a little bit more and check it out." My silent prayers became so earnest that I literally started whispering "Please, please!" outloud.

Then...his next words were, "I've got it!" And we saw him reach forward and pick up the necklace. My companion's necklace. At that instant I was filled with an intense love. I understood at that moment just how much God loved my companion, how much He loved me, and the sister that was with me. God cared enough about us that our prayers about this little necklace were answered. He cared enough to inspire that kind, kind man to go above and beyond what most people would be willing to do. He cared enough to help us retrieve that necklace.

Such a simple experience, yet a very powerful one for me. This experience reminds me of some of the things that I am most grateful for - and seeing as this is  Thanksgiving, I felt this was appropriate :) - such as the knowledge I have of my Father in Heaven, and how much He loves me. The knowledge of my Savior, and what He did for me and for everyone - because He loves us. This Gospel and how it teaches me to live in faith so that I can witness miracles, big and small. And, the knowledge that Heavenly Father hears and answers prayers. It's true! It is SO true! I promise. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment