Thursday, November 20, 2014

#TBT His Eyes

When I was in the temple today, I was reminded of a poem I wrote years ago. And it wasn't just the poem I remembered. It was what inspired the poem. I was sitting in church. The hymn we were singing before the sacrament was "I Stand All-Amazed." I love this hymn. It expresses the feelings of my heart in regards to my Savior. I was feeling particularly grateful for Him that day and I was thinking about the life He led. The things He suffered for me, both my sins and my pains.

The line, "I think of His hands pierced and bleeding to pay the debt," stuck out to me this particular time, and I looked down at my own hands, with their own marks and scars, thinking of how painful it was when I got one specific scar. And I began forming lines to a poem in my head.

Poems are a rarity for me, but they form when I'm feeling very strongly about something. I often feel that they are a way the spirit helps me put into words my testimony. Here is the poem that formed that day.

His Eyes

I look at my hands,
I look at the scars.
I look at the feet
That have carried me far.

I look at my face
With both beauties and flaws
Then I look at my eyes
But there I must pause.

So there I do look,
And hope that I see
A deep, shining light
That has often led me.

I see this great light
In leaders, friends, kids.
I look in my eyes
And hope it's not hid.

This wonderful light,
It's the light of Christ.
It's the light of the man
Who paid a great price.

One gloomy, dark night,
This wonderful man
Carried a great burden
That no other man can.

The very next morn
After the burden so great,
He died on a cross
To help our own fate.

I live my life so,
Maybe someday,
Words of gratitude, praise,
Words of love I can say.

I want to be worth
To tell Him these words.
So, in this long journey,
The light, I'll go towards.

So on that great day
When, face to face, we'll meet,
I'll fall on my knees,
With joy, Him I'll greet.

I'll look at His hands,
I'll look at the scars.
I'll look at the feet
That have helped me go far.

I'll look at His face
With just beauty, no flaws.
Then I'll look in His eyes,
And there, I will pause.

And I hope, will all hope
He will look back at me
And say, "Little sister,
I see me in thee."

I know I will weep,
And I hope He will say,
"Little sister, well done.
You've returned home today." 

No comments:

Post a Comment